To start from etymology, Gerontology translates to ‘Study of old men’ in Greek. To expand more about this, it would include the biological, social and psychological aspects of ageing and taking care of them. As a home nurse administrator in a Gerontology or Long Term Care Program, you will often find yourself being in situations where you will have to work with the family members of the old and those who are not able to take care for themselves. This is a vocation that needs extremes of empathy and calm, patient and an understanding mind. Every individual is unique and catering to their every need is beyond taxing, but always worth it. This being the case, your daily routine will be everything but boring and routine. Each person possesses a different ability and catering to them will be your most important challenge.
Best Gerontology Schools in USA
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Applied Behavioral Science
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- BS in Human Services in Youth/Family Services and Administration
- And more...
Concordia University, Nebraska offers accredited Master of Education and Master of Science degree programs online to help advance your career and become a transformative leader. Our M.Ed. and M.S. programs offer the knowledge and skills required in today’s competitive marketplace. These graduate degree programs are also practitioner-based: study real world solutions in class you can also apply to your current job. A reliable online learning system allows you to learn with other adult students, around your own schedule, and wherever you connect online.
- MHA - Master of Healthcare Administration : Gerontology
- Master of Human Services - Gerontology
- Master of Human Services - Human Services Leadership and Management
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Biblical Counseling
- And more...
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Dental Assistant Program
- Expanded Functions Dental Assistant
- Dental Assisting
- And more...
- Veterinary Assisting
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Diploma
- What is the requiem for doing Gerontology/ Long Term Care?
Even with the blooming industry like the healthcare industry, finding a good position in nursing care administration can be a bit of a task. This will surely take the golden combination of education with experience and that is definitely something that is attainable. For basics, a minimum of a bachelors’ degree will be required. This can be in the field of healthcare administration as well. Being a nurse care administrator is not a simple job and will necessitate the knowledge of everything under the sun and so including several tasks like learning from gerontology to finance can always come in handy.
- What about the experience that will be gained?
To add to this, nurse care administrators are to demonstrate their experience in health care management as well. This can be easily covered in an old age home where there is a lot to be learnt by just the lifestyle. Personal learning can be a goal that is used for better understanding the situation and the people in it, especially in this situation. Since most nursing homes are in a private setting, they have certain rules and routines for what a definition would be for a good nursing administrator.
- What is the kind of education that is usually covered?
Talking about education, a master’s education in nursing and/ or a program done in nursing or gerontology can help you when working with older adults. Knowing and realizing that their needs completely vary and that one has to be flexible and motivated to work with them, can bring them a long way.
- Explain the career outlook for Gerontology/ Long term care outlook?
Surprisingly, the surveys conducted by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics calculated a mean wage of $101,340 per annum! This was for nursing home administrators, who usually have a lot on their plate, and gerontology is one of the things they handle. To get to a better level, education always helps. A Masters’ degree can facilitate in bagging those extra dollars and so can a bit more experience with it!
It is not secret that the population is ageing day by day and care has to be present as the numbers increase. The result of this will obviously be an escalation in need of jobs and most definitely, gerontology will be a huge part of it.
To add on to this, you also have a wide variety of online programs to choose from. Now there are several universities offering numerous programs and courses which you can learn and avail at the click of a button in the comfort of your own home. I think his possibly gives you all the more reason to go ahead with gerontology/ long term care programs!