To start from etymology, Gerontology translates to ‘Study of old men’ in Greek. To expand more about this, it would include the biological, social and psychological aspects of ageing and taking care of them. As a home nurse administrator in a Gerontology or Long Term Care Program, you will often find yourself being in situations where you will have to work with the family members of the old and those who are not able to take care for themselves. This is a vocation that needs extremes of empathy and calm, patient and an understanding mind. Every individual is unique and catering to their every need is beyond taxing, but always worth it. This being the case, your daily routine will be everything but boring and routine. Each person possesses a different ability and catering to them will be your most important challenge.
Best Gerontology Schools in USA
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Gerontology
- BA in Health and Human Services
- BA in Health and Human Services - Health Care Informatics Systems Specialization
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Biblical Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MA Human Services: Christian Ministry
- MA Human Services: Military Resilience
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Services
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
- Earn Your Degree at Fortis College. Flexible Scheduling. Apply Now!
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- What is the requiem for doing Gerontology/ Long Term Care?
Even with the blooming industry like the healthcare industry, finding a good position in nursing care administration can be a bit of a task. This will surely take the golden combination of education with experience and that is definitely something that is attainable. For basics, a minimum of a bachelors’ degree will be required. This can be in the field of healthcare administration as well. Being a nurse care administrator is not a simple job and will necessitate the knowledge of everything under the sun and so including several tasks like learning from gerontology to finance can always come in handy.
- What about the experience that will be gained?
To add to this, nurse care administrators are to demonstrate their experience in health care management as well. This can be easily covered in an old age home where there is a lot to be learnt by just the lifestyle. Personal learning can be a goal that is used for better understanding the situation and the people in it, especially in this situation. Since most nursing homes are in a private setting, they have certain rules and routines for what a definition would be for a good nursing administrator.
- What is the kind of education that is usually covered?
Talking about education, a master’s education in nursing and/ or a program done in nursing or gerontology can help you when working with older adults. Knowing and realizing that their needs completely vary and that one has to be flexible and motivated to work with them, can bring them a long way.
- Explain the career outlook for Gerontology/ Long term care outlook?
Surprisingly, the surveys conducted by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics calculated a mean wage of $101,340 per annum! This was for nursing home administrators, who usually have a lot on their plate, and gerontology is one of the things they handle. To get to a better level, education always helps. A Masters’ degree can facilitate in bagging those extra dollars and so can a bit more experience with it!
It is not secret that the population is ageing day by day and care has to be present as the numbers increase. The result of this will obviously be an escalation in need of jobs and most definitely, gerontology will be a huge part of it.
To add on to this, you also have a wide variety of online programs to choose from. Now there are several universities offering numerous programs and courses which you can learn and avail at the click of a button in the comfort of your own home. I think his possibly gives you all the more reason to go ahead with gerontology/ long term care programs!